Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Quick Robin, to the Bat-Couch!"




Ah, if only the life of a psychologist-to-be was that exciting. Instead of utility belts, cool jet-engine cars and masks we get to attend conventions and present research. Oh well, we've all got to battle evil in our own ways I suppose.
Going to the conference was actually a really awesome opportunity that not many undergraduates get the chance to do. Plus the convention was in San Francisco so I got to stay with my wonderful in-laws across the Bay in Oakland. Part of the fun was hanging out with Wiley, the Criddle's Shi- Tzu. He only weighs ten pounds but he thinks he's a Saint Bernard. I grew up with a big Rottweiller and never really thought I would want a small dog but if he was as cool as Wiley I just might change my mind.
Also, due to the generous benevolence of BYU's CCC (Kudos Dr. Chapman!) I got an allowance to spend on some grub while I was in SF. The beautiful part was that since I staying with my in-laws I could go out to some swank restaurants and still come in way under budget. Apparently, John 's Grill here was the setting for the 1930 novel Maltese Falcon (eat your heart out Graham) which later became the more well known film noir. Either way, the steak I had was awesome. Culture and cuisine!
Finally, I got to hang out a bunch with my cool sister-and-brother-in-law and their two kids, Christian and Elizabeth. Dan and I got up and went on an early morning hike through the redwoods and later in the visit we all went to this cool park and rode a kid-size steam engine. Christian was loving it (obviously). All in all, another great trip to the Bay Area, although the best part is always coming back home to my bodacious wife.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Well Jake, I got to hang out with your bodacious wife while you were gone, and while we did have a lot of fun while you were away.... I am glad you are home. She definitely deserves to be taken care of ;)

Ginger said...

My brother, the scholar. Precious.

Mitzi said...

Jake! Graham is going to be drooling and green with envy when he hears me tell him about John's. You know how much he loves The Maltese Falcon. I'm going to tell him as soon as he comes back from class!