Saturday, December 27, 2008

The First Few Days

Although Jake posted some pictures a few days ago of the newest addition to the Farnsworth family, I have been looking forward to making a post of what our life has been like the past few days and posting some pictures of our bug-a-boo. First I want to say thank you all for your comments, emails, and Facebook messages. It's fun to have friends and family to share our excitement with.

So, here's the story of mylabor for anyone who is interested. On Monday night I started to feel some aching along with my braxton hicks contractions, but I didn't really think anything of it at the time. Jake and I ended up falling asleep on the couch and woke up at about 1 am to go to bed. I noticed that the aching that I was feeling was getting a little stronger and seemed to be coming and going in a pattern, so at 1:30 am we started to time the contractions. We timed the contractions for 2 hours, and from the start of keeping track of the contractions they were between 2.5-4 minutes apart and were lasting about 50-60 seconds. I really wasn't sure if these were actually labor contractions or not so we decided to go to the hospital and get checked out. It was a classic labor scenerio--driving to the hospital at 4:00 in the morning.

Since I was still able to talk through the contractions I totally expected to be dialated to maybe 1 cm and then be sent back home, but I was actually 5 cm! Although I could handle the contractions just fine, I decided to get a half epidural when I was 7 cm dilated and get some rest. Eli was then born at 11:28 am.

We had a great Christmas gift this year because we got to bring home Eli from the hospital on Christmas morning. Here is a picture of him coming home:

Then his Grandma Criddle came arrived to say hello and help us out...and thank goodness that she came! We had a bit of a rough, fussy first 24 hours at home. He would only sleep for about 10-15 minutes at a time. But now he has settled down and is so fun to be around.


Here are a few pictures that we took this morning.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Thanks for all your Christmas cards and family updates.

14 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh that baby boy is so cute!!! Congrats! We're so happy for you guys.

Suzanne said...

Oh my goodness. He is so adorable!!! I love those little rosebud lips and his dark hair. Wish I could wrap my arms around that little guy! I hope you are doing well, Joanna, and that you are getting plenty of rest with your mom there! Jake looks like the happy father! It's so fun to see all those pictures.

Jen,Judd, and Brenton said...

congrats! Eli is adorable! Hope you and Jake are doing well and are able to get some rest.

Unknown said...

Congratulations guys! He is such a cutie! You all look great and very happy and we're so excited for you. Since we're visiting family, I've been showing/telling everyone that your little Eli is here. :)

Ginger said...

Wow, Joanna! That is so awesome that your labor and delivery went so well. We sure are excited for Eli to be here. And way to go, Grandma Criddle. Grandmas are the best! Whenever I see Eli I think of Reed. They just look alike to me.

Cory & Alli said...

Aww! He's gonna be a heartbreaker! Congrats, you guys!!!

B said...

Congratulations, Jake & Joanna!! What a beautiful little guy! We're so happy for you. Merry merry Christmas!

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

Congratulations!! What a handsome, darling baby!!

Kathryn Cooper said...

Oh my heck! He is so cute. I can't wait to see you guys. I'm glad to hear the labor/delivery was a good experience.

Brian and Carly said...

He is so sweet! What a fun Christmas present. I love how you had him all bundled in blue. Congratulations you guys!

Mia said...

Congratulations!!!! We are so excited for all of you. Welcome Eli. He is adorable and I am so glad that your Mom could come out to be with you guys.

Emily said...

Oh! We just got home from our Christmas break and checked your blog and we're SO excited for you! Congratulations on surviving labor (Joanna, you sound like a trooper) and on a beautiful baby boy. He hardly looks like a newborn, he's just so cute. I hope you're surviving the lack of sleep okay. I wish we could be there to see you and meet him.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great looking family! That little Eli is one lucky guy, and his parents are pretty lucky too. A great thing all around. We sure are happy for you guys. Thanks for posting on how things have been going and for all the great pics! We love you guys!

karren said...

I know I am only his grandma, but I think he is the sweetest baby ever!